King's Own Royal Regiment Museum


Museum & Collections
Soldiers of the Regiment
Contact Us

17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
20th Century
First World War
Second World War
Actions & Movements
Battle Honours

Further Reading


Regimental History - 20th Century

Second World War 1939-1945

2nd Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment, Lancaster

At the outbreak of the war the 2nd Battalion was based in Palestine. In June 1940 they were moved to Egypt and from August to December 1940 it was based in defensive positions around Mersa Matruh in the Western Desert. In 1941 the battalion was in Syria where it fought in two actions against the Vichy French forces. In September 1941 the battalion arrived, by sea, to Tobruk where they remained until just before Christmas. The battalion was involved in the operation on 21st November 1941 which is known as the 'Tobruk Sortie'. The battalion left Tobruk for Egypt and in March 1942 moved to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later India, where jungle warfare training took place. From March until July 1944 the battalion operated as Number 41 and 46 Chindit Columns operating behind the lines in Burma. In May 1944 both Columns were involved in fierce action inside 'Blackpool Block' a defensive perimeter south-west of Myitkyina. In July the battalion was withdrawn from Burma to India having marched over 1100 miles during the campaign.

September 1939 2nd Battalion in Palestine

At the outbreak of the war the 2nd Battalion were based in Palestine attempting to keep the peace between Jew and Arab. On 16th September 1939 the battalion was re-organised onto a war establishment. On 10th March 1940 all members of the battalion were issued with the medal ribbon for the General Service Medal, with the Bar 'Palestine'.

10th June 1940 - July 1940 Move to Egypt

On 10th June 1940 the 2nd Battalion moved from Palestine to Helwan in Egypt. Indian troops took over their duties in Palestine. The first duty of the battalion in Egypt was to defend the aerodrome at Helwan.

August 1940 – 15th December 1940 Mersa Matruh

2nd King's Own move to Abbassia on 6th August 1940, and arrive at Mersa Matruh on the Mediterranean Coast of Egypt within a fortnight. Mersa Matruh is located between Sidi Barrani and El Alamein. At the end of August the battalion sustain their first casualties to Italian fighter aircraft. On 9th September 2nd King's Own begin mobile column duties in the desert. On 14th September the Italians crossed into Egypt and Sollum is evacuated. When Sidi Barrani is evacuated on the 17th September 1940 by the British forces (at the time of the Italian advance) the 2nd Battalion cover the withdrawal of troops. The Italians stop at Sidi Barrani. The battalion begin patrols along the coast. The British counter attack is launched on 9th December 1940 and the 2nd Battalion take part in the defence of Mersa Matruh. With an increasing number of Prisoners of War the battalion is responsible for providing guards. Over 3000 Prisoners are taken by 11th December when Sidi Barrani falls to the British. 2nd King's Own receive orders to fall back to Cairo on 15th December. By 23rd December there are over ten thousand prisoners. All of 2nd King's Own are based in Cairo by 31st December 1940.

15th December 1940 – 31st January 1941 Cairo

The 2nd Battalion are moved to Cairo to by the end of the year - being allowed to celebrate Christmas a few days late. They are responsible for general guard duties and the guarding of Italian prisoners of war in Egypt. More than ten thousand prisoners had been taken by the British.

3rd February 1941 - May 1941 Escorting Prisoners of War

On 3rd February 1941 the 2nd Battalion, still in Cairo, are relieved of all guard duties in order to provide escorts for Italian Prisoners of War. With the situation becoming uncertain in Iraq the battalion are put on standby to move to protect RAF airbases. As it happens 1st Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment, based in Karachi, India, were to undertake this role instead.

12th June 1941 – 9th July 1941 Syria

On 11th June 1941 the 2nd Battalion moved from Citadel Barracks, Cairo, Egypt to Palestine to join 16 Brigade.  The following day they moved to Samakh, a village at the south of Lake Tiberias, Syria.  The battalion was then to take part in two major actions against the pro-German Vichy French with the main aim to prevent their collaboration with the Germans who were in both Syria and Lebanon. The successful operations prevented the Germans from occupying Syria and gaining access to Palestine and Egypt. On the 23rd June the battalion successfully took part in an action at Merjayun - a position which controlled the central approach to Damascus. The position was successfully taken as the enemy withdrew during the night.

Private H Livesey - of B Company, 2nd Battalion - provided an eyewitness account of the battle leading up to the fall of Merjayoun on 23rd June, 1941.

9th July 1941 – 30th September 1941 Syria - Jebel Mazar

The action in the mountains at Jebel-Mazar, north west of Damascus between 9th and 12th July which was one of the last actions before the cease-fire on 18th July. After the cease-fire the battalion remained in Syria until the end of September 1941.

1st October 1941 – 31st December 1941 Tobruk

After sailing from Beirut the 2nd Battalion sailed into Tobruk in the 'no-moon' period by fast destroyer - replacing the Australian troops who had spent the summer in Tobruk. The soldiers of the 2nd Battalion found life in Tobruk to be hard. Tobruk was without women, liquor, cinema or other amusements, there were no fresh vegetables and the men were pestered by the heat, sand and flies. Subjected to continuous day and night bombing, the men spent their spare time playing football or cricket and swimming. Each battalion had a wireless set and from this a daily news-sheet was produced - from the BBC radio news - to be circulated down to the platoons. Tobruk was a maze of broken, tottering buildings surrounded by a dry, dusty plain leading up to the minefields, trenches and barbed wire of the perimeter. The whole area was under enemy fire, so that reliefs and carrying parties always took place at night. The whole fortress covered an area of eighteen to twenty miles in width and twelve miles in depth. The 2nd Battalion took over a sector of the eastern perimeter next to the sea and every night sent out four wire or trench patrols or at least two reconnaissance or one reconnaissance and one fighting patrol, both of which operated up to three or four thousand yards outside the perimeter. Throughout October the battalion closed gaps in the enemy's minefields, raided enemy working parties, demolished new field works, and booby-trapped potential enemy sniper locations. Meanwhile the enemy closed in on Tobruk and contact was made on 12th October shortly after which a patrol brought in ten Italian prisoners. At the end of October the King's Own was relieved from the line and Major Creedon was appointed Commanding Officer. The battalion remained in Tobruk until just before Christmas when they were finally relieved.

See Tobruk Truth daily news-sheet.

21st November 1941 Tobruk Sortie

A break-out from Tobruk was planned to coincide with an advance from Egypt by the Eighth Army. The attack was launched on 18th November after many days of planning, mine clearance and careful preparation. The fighting was indecisive at first and was in full swing on 20th November when the 2nd King's Own was ordered to attempt to break out. Each section of the battalion was armed wit a Bren machine gun and thirteen Bren magazines; each rifleman carried a hundred rounds in bandoleers and three grenades; in addition each platoon had two Thompson sub-machine guns and one anti-tank rifle. On 21st November as tanks moved forward and broke the silence of the night, A and D Companies were in the front line when a tremendous artillery barrage opened up but most shells fell behind the battalion. As British guns opened fire and the tanks moved forward followed by the carriers, so many tanks were disabled by mines that most were knocked out before the infantry were ordered to move. Despite this, D Company moved forward and took their position, 'Butch'. A Company advanced with C Company in support and found themselves held up by a strong pointed called 'Jill'. Whilst D Company was able to hold their position, A and C Companies were forced to withdraw from 'Jill' during the afternoon and, with the help of B Company, formed a new defensive position on 'The Crest'. As a result of this action the battalion took about 300 German prisoners and were able to hold 'Butch' until 24th November when they were relieved by 2nd Battalion Leicester Regiment. Back in the line from 27th November, the men of the battalion saw the New Zealanders move forward to expand the perimeter. On 3rd December a patrol of the King's Own discovered that enemy positions along the coast had been evacuated, and A Company was sent to occupy them. Under sustained British attacks Field Marshal Rommel had been forced to withdraw and Tobruk had survived. The enemy had lost 400 tanks, and 11 000 Germans and 26 000 Italians had been taken prisoner whilst British losses were about 18 000 men. On 21st December the 2nd Battalion King's Own withdrew, by road, from Tobruk and moved back to Egypt to enjoy a belated Christmas Day on 31st December.

21st December 1941 Battalion withdraw from Tobruk

31st December 1941 Battalion celebrated a belated Christmas in Cairo.

16th March 1942 Battalion arrive at Colombo, Ceylon, now Sri Lanka, for jungle warfare training as well as defence against possible Japanese attack or invasion.

8-10th March 1944 - 2nd Battalion move into Burma by air to take part in the Chindit Campaign as Number 41 and Number 46 Columns.

26th July 1944 - Battalion withdrawn to Mogaung by jeep and then on to Myitkynia by train to be flown back to India.


Find out more:

bullet2nd Battalion at Tobruk
bulletThe story of Douglas and Eva Blake
bullet2nd Battalion in Burma

The King's Own The Story of a Royal Regiment Volume 3 1914-1959 by Colonel Julia Cowper - the best history of the King's Own in the Second World War.  On a CD-rom, viewable through a computer with Internet Explorer or similar.  Price including UK postage £12.75

How to order this item.


Notes from ‘War Diaries’ of 2nd Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment.
(Public Record Office Reference: W0172-2520 Mar-Dec 1943 W0172 - 4886 Jan-Dec 1944.)

September 1943.
7 Announcement Bn. to join 111 Bde,
9 Major-General G.W. Symes addresses Bn.
16 Leave BANGALOR.
21 Arrive LALITPUR.
24 Arrive JAMALPUR camp.

October 1943.
13 Rev.W.H. Miller joined.
18 Two-day demolition courses.
24 Suppressive malaria treatment to change to blanket treatment over period

November 1943.
1 Columns renumbered 41 & 46.
· Riding school begins.
6 Move to DUKWAN camp.
20-22 Exercise WINCHESTER ‘A’.
21 Second anniversary of break-out from TOBRUK.
22 Lt-Col A.W.Thompson assumes command.
28 Demonstration air drops.
29 TOBRUK Day celebrated.

December 1943.
3-6 80 mile march to MADAURA.
7-9 Rest.
10 Exercise THURSDAY starts.
18 Exercise THURSDAY ends at MALTHONE after 96 miles covered.
23 Conference at JHANSI attended by Maj-Gen Wingate.
27 Leave parties to LUCKNOW(300 men) and CAWNPORE (200 men).

January 1944
5 Leave parties return.
10 Bn. entrains at BABINA for SILCHAR.
16 Arrive SILCHAR.
18 March to BISHENPUR.
24 Arrive BISHENPUR.
31 Bn. Marches to SAITON at MS.32 on IMPHAL-TIDDIM Road.

March 1944
8 Bn. leaves SAITON camp.
9 First wave leaves TULIHAL airfield at 2230 hrs for BROADWAY.
11 41 Col Recce PI. leaves BROADWAY.
12 Bn. leaves BROADWAY.
14 First supply drop for 41 Col at YIHKU (SE2743).
17 41 Col west of KAKA (SHO315).
18 Bn. West of MANSI (SHO315).
19 Bn. north of INDA-NABA railway (SG9706).
20 41 Col crosses railway and road INDAW-NABA. Harrison and Jordan attack Japanese - 5 killed 12 wounded. No British casualties.
21 Planes not turned up for S.D. 30 hours without water.
22 S.D. failed.
23 Rations 5 days overdue.
24 Light plane drops rations.
27 41 Col crosses MEZA river at AIKMA.
28 41 Col recce P1 reported with 81 Col.
29 Wingates death reported, Lentaigne takes over Special Force, Masters commands Bde. Operation order for attacking PINBON-PINLEBU road.
31 41 Col crosses PILE CHAUNG and railway east of NAIKAN railway station.

April 1944
1 41 & 46 Cols to Bde. RV at SG2105.
2 Supply drop.
3 41 & 46 Cols to PINBON - PINLEBU road. At THAYETKON (SG1708) tails of Cols ambushed. Capt Busby and three killed, two wounded. Eight Japanese killed,
4 Hurricane attacks. At 1800 hrs. road-block established.
5 Bridge at SG175111 destroyed 0600 hrs. At 1900 hrs. two Japanese lorries drive into block.20 to 30 killed. 1 British wounded.
6 Block evacuated 0200 hrs, Bn. rv at SG1722.Supply drop. Leyland hit by free drop, skull fractured.
8 Harbour 2 miles south of road NAPIN - NAUNGKAN.
7 MT park and camp attacked after crossing NAPIN - NAUNGKAN road.
Jap follow up ambushed. 14 Japs killed. Nil British casualties.
10 NYAUNGWUN and KYAUNGLE (SG2435) reconnoitred.
11 41 Col capture NYAUNGWUN (SG2336). 3 Mitchells arrive.6 Japs killed. Bn 1 killed 1 wounded. 46 Col find KYAUNGLE deserted. Tails take SD.
12 NYAUNGWUN destroyed by fire.
14 Bn marches south to attack MT parks on NAPIN – NAUNKAN road.
15 41 Col attacks enemy position at SG1333. 12 Japs killed. Col crosses road at SG187328, destroying vehicle, petrol, ammo. and blowing a bridge. Take SD at RV.
16 41 Col ordered to block NAPIN - BANMAUK road.
17 41 Col harbour SG1722.
18 41 Col to HAIKPI SG2623.
19 SD at HAIKPI.
22 Road block at SG384231. Bridge at 381221 destroyed.
23 41 Col joins tail at SG4040. SD taken. Ordered to ABERDEEN.
24 SD collected. 41 Col moves to SG466264.
25 41 Col at ABERDEEN.
27 41 Col leaves ABERDEEN for HOPIN area. At SG670770 on 29 April.

May 1944

1 SG7290
4 41 Col tail and support to MOKSO SAKAN (SCO716). 41 Col harbour SCO301.
5 41 Col attacks LWEO (SH0895).Jap taken prisoner.8600 gals petrol, 250 gals oil, 6 stores destroyed.
6 1000 hrs. Bridge destroyed east of YWATHIT (SH1496) by RE and two platoons. Remainder attack YWATHITGALE (SH1298). Enemy counter attack. Japs 13 killed, 3 wounded. Bn 1 killed, 2 wounded. 2100 hrs. at SH154995.
7 41 Col fighting force at NSUN (SC1501). 46 Col into CLYDESIDE (SC2304).
8 41 Col at NAMYUNG (SC1804). 46 Col attacked. 20 enemy killed. Bn 1 wounded.
9 41 Col into CLYDESIDE.
12 75mm gun starts up.
13 Capt. Arnold killed.
14 Capt. Winmill killed.
15 Enemy dug in 10 - 20 yds from inner wire. Lt G.H.Edwards wounded on patrol. Lt C.R.A. Jones killed.
16 Heavy attack driven off, 60 - 70 Japs killed.
18 105 mm shelling of block.
22 41 and 46 Cols amalgamated and out to float.
23 Two platoons attack outside block.
24 Lt Col Thompson takes three platoons into the block.
25 Lt Col Thompson leads counterattack. Block ordered to withdraw.

Officers on strength, Major 1944. Lt. Col. Thompson
Majors: Heap, Larpent, Robinson, Royle, Rees.
Captains: Arnold, Brown, Winmill, Tucker, Busby, Pike, Kershaw, Edwards, Openshaw, Leach.
Lieutenants: Fisher, Edwards, Stock, Smith, Dodd, Icke, Morris Hart, Coleman,
Leyland, Jordan, Milnes, Horne, Green, Harrison, Parry Evans, Shaw,
Attached; RAMC, Gibb, Brown. RAChD, Miller, RE, Betts, Oliver, Burrif, Saw Lader, Hobbins.
RAF, Rhodes, Robinson.

Notes taken on 26 October 1979.



Only a proportion of our collections are on display at anyone time.  Certain items are on loan for display in other institutions.  An appointment is required to consult any of our collections which are held in store.

© 2018 Trustees of the King's Own Royal Regiment Museum